Saturday, May 28, 2016

Disneyland - Trip Report 2016

This is a pretty old review, seeing as I went the last week of January, but better late than never! It was also the Diamond Celebration!

I have only been to the Disneyland Resort one other time in my life and that was on a choir tour in 2009, which meant I was only able to experience about a total of a days worth, it was also pre-Cars Land. This trip was for business, so I got to experience the park from open to close on multiple days. IT WAS GREAT.


The down side was that a ton was closed.

Disneyland:
Disneyland Railroad
It's A Small World (one week to tear down the holiday decorations)
Fantasmic!
Autopia
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Jungle Cruise
Tom Sawyers Island

Disney California Adventure:
Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular
World of Color (one week refurbishment)


So that was a bummer, especially World of Color and Fantasmic, both of which I was unable to see my first trip.

But I got to experience Hyperspace Mountain, and what I consider the best nighttime parade that currently plays at any Disney park (an argument could be made for the best ever, but would loose to Spectromagic).

Hyperspace Mountain was fantastic! It was the Seasons of the Force which basically meant all of Tomorrowland became Star Wars Land.


Disneyland's cute Space Mountain!


This ride was a dream for any Star Wars fan. The music was all John Williams scores from Episodes I-VI, and definitely brought a tear to my eye. Every time I rode there were multiple cars that came back into the station with people cheering, I may have been one of those people. Also original FASTPASS for the win!


Also this was the first time I got to ride Radiator Springs Racers, and it was really good. I still prefer Test Track for the thrill, but the dark ride portion is amazing!


Much like Test Track, the car holds 6 people, it has it's own single rider line (which I found is rare in Disneyland), and will usually have a 60+ minute wait.


Seriously, some of the best Audio Animatronics I've ever seen!


From there you start your race against another car through Ornament Valley. This would be my favorite ride ever if "Life is a Highway" started playing, Listen!


All in all, a great ride. Good Job Disney!

Cars Land it self is beautiful and looks exactly like the movie. It's pretty stunning to see the exact replicas of the buildings in Radiator Springs. It was also massive.


This is the Cadillac Mountain Range. You can also see the fire station and the Cozy Cone Motel.


Luigi's Flying Tires was closed, as it was being transformed into Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters.


Flo's V8 cafe! I actually didn't try the food, but the roast beef looked pretty tempting.


Ramone's House of Body Art!

All in all, a great addition to the least attended US Disney Park.

I was super bummed that I was not able to see World of Color or Fantasmic! I was not able to see either my first visit and was looking forward to maybe catching them. I was also bummed that I was unable to go on It's A Small World. Oh well.

I really hadn't explored Disney California Adventure the first time I had visited because I really wanted to see all of Disneyland. All I saw in DCA the first time I visited was Muppet Vison 3D and Soarin' Over California, both of which I have seen on a regular basis, I just wanted my friends to expirence Soain' so after we left.

I LOVE Paradise Pier, I think there could be another E-ticket ride here but both Toy Story Mania and California Screamin' are awesome. Here is the video (not mine).


I absolutely loved California Screamin'. It is a launch coaster and launches you into a hill which is pretty unique. Before I went on I thought it would be fun, but not comparable to Rockin' Rollercoaster, or Expedition Everest, but I was wrong, It was better.


No it is not as thrilling as Rockin' or Everest, but it was just good old fashioned fun. It does have a inversion, just one loop, but that isn't even the best part, it's the atmosphere and view you get while riding, as well as a great soundtrack that is synced with the train. It is the longest coaster in California and one of the longer roller coasters I've been on, which is much different than the very quick Rockin' Rollercoaster which seems like it's over even before it starts.


California Screamin' has de-throned Space Mountain (Florida) as my favorite roller coaster of all time. I never thought those words would be spoken, or written rather. And go at night, preferably not when it's raining, that kinda hurt the old face.

Anyways, back in Disneyland, everything was great. It was the Diamond celebration so the castle was sparkling.


I got time to ride pretty much everything in Disneyland. I only missed Peter Pan's Flight, The Storybook Canals, and the peoplemover (jk RIP).



Splash Mountain was a little bit awkward since I was spooning a father of three, and my pants started to rip, but it was still fun!

A clothes pin and Dole Whip Float later I was at the Enchanted Tiki Room, which is far superior to Walt Disney World's Tiki Room for one reason. I could bring in the DOLE WHIP. Seriously seeing a Tiki show is far better with a Dole Whip Float, I couldn't imagine the show without it. I tried to bring it in to the Tiki Room in Florida and was told that I could only eat it outside, and had to wait for the next show. LAME. I am currently trying to find a way to enjoy Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room with my Dole Whip, but lets keep that on the DL.


I guess Walt Disney World does not trust you to throw your tiki trash away...


Then I ventured to Star Wars land, sorry I meant Tomorrowland to check out the new Force Awakens scene in Star Tours and ride Hyperspace Mountain again, and meet Chewbacca.


Rawr...




I wasn't even going to go to Marvel HQ, but I'm glad I did. I am a pretty big Marvel fan, and Iron Man is my favorite of The Avengers, so I was pretty happy to see the Iron Man suits.


Mk. III as seen in Iron Man (2008)


Mk. IV as seen in Iron Man 2


Mk. V as seen in Iron Man 2


Mk. VI as seen in Iron Man 2, and The Avengers


Mk. VII as seen in The Avengers


and Mk. XLII as seen in Iron Man 3

Definitely awesome. I wish that they had like an Avengers Lounge or the S.H.E.I.L.D. Hellicarrier. I would love it. I would love to see a Marvel meet and greet other than Spider-man and Thor.



But the most exciting part of the whole trip was actually the nighttime entertainment. I cannot tell you how much I love the Paint The Night Parade. I am so over the Main Street Electrical Parade at Walt Disney World, and this was such a breath of fresh air. The Parade was set to the tune of "When Can I See You Again" (the credits music from Wreck-It Ralph) which I don't know if I've even heard it besides the one time I watched the movie but it is amazing. The Baroque Hoedown (from MSEP) is also intertwined into the medley.


Seriously, I'm not really a parade person although this blog is proving otherwise, but this is amazing.


Some of the coolest floats I've ever seen.



Looks suspiciously familiar to a whrillyball from Spectromagic



Also off topic is this guy not way more frightening than..


Okay maybe they are both frightening

Anyways so many cool floats, the coolest by far was Mickey's multidimensional ball of light thing as seen here.


Honestly, It was just great to see a night parade that wasn't MSEP. That music is cute for like 2 minutes. I would love to see Paint the Night in WDW for it's 50th celebration, almost as much as I would want to see a revival of Spectromagic.

Also Disneyland Forever was amazing. Made for the Diamond celebration, Disneyland Forever utilized projections on Main Street, and had a great soundtrack to go with the fireworks. They had an awesome Tangled portion, as well as Circle of Life, which was epic.

All in all, a great visit to Disneyland!

No comments:

Post a Comment