Sunday, October 9, 2016

5 Saddest Closures in WDW 2016

Many changes happen year to year at Disney, and this post is here to reflect on those shows and attractions we lost this year.

5. Main Street Electrical Parade


I have so much respect for this parade, It basically revolutionized night-time parades, and inspired the Walt Disney World original parade that I grew up with Spectromagic. It is definitely a classic I can't say that I'm too heartbroken because I am 95% sure that it will eventually be replaced by the far superior Paint the Night Parade. So far 50% of my prediction of what will happen is accurate, I think it will only be day's until Paint the Night is announced.

4. Earfell Tower

This WAS the symbol of Disney's MGM and Hollywood Studios and to be torn down is just sad. Don't get me wrong, I think it is appropriate, but none the less sad. This symbolized the "studios" part of the original MGM studios where productions were filmed and animation was created for movies. Honestly you could only get a good look from certain parts of the park, but it was clearly visible from the now defunct Studio Backlot Tour.


 Although it has gone through some changes throughout the years due to name changes.


This was the change that made me realize that Hollywood Studios of old, is now in Yesterland. Man what a great theme park Yesterland would be!

3. Symphony in the Stars


I just saw this for the first time earlier this year during May the 4th, and it was amazing! I seriously loved this show I had to see it again the next night. You were able to watch the show from pretty much anywhere down Hollywood Blvd. To me it is better than the current show, in fact it honestly was better than Wishes and gave IllumiNations a run for it's money, but that I assume was the reason for the change, the cost per show must've been insane with all the fireworks launched.

Hopefully we see it this year for May the 4th be with you!

2. Streets of America

(photo credit: WDWLive.com)

This is probably the most drastic change from this list, and will really change the landscape of the entire back section of the park. The close was necessary for the opening of Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. This section of the park housed Osborne Lights as well as countless numbers of shows, the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playset as well as Light's Motor's Action! and the Backlot Tour. Gone, but not forgotten.

This parcel of land is humongous as is the plans for DHS, however currently it looks so sad. There really hasn't been a drastic change to a park in Walt Disney World, the only other US park that got a "makeover" all at once was Disney California Adventure.

Honorable Mention: Dream Along with Mickey and Lights! Motors! Action!

1. Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights


This was definitely the saddest closure. I had only seen this once but it was amazing and truly an amazing sight. It was a wonderful use of the Streets of America and really a tradition for many families. It was not only cool to see all the lights, but also moving. My favorite part was when everyone crowded the streets the see the lights get turned on for the night.

I really do think we will see another version of this somewhere in the parks in the near future. I think maybe Sunset or Hollywood Blvd, or perhaps even the central hub at Epcot or Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom. Main Street would be awesome, but it kinda has its own thing going on right now.


Pretty tough year for Hollywood Studios, but I cannot wait for the incoming changes to take place, It truly will be a full day park.

No comments:

Post a Comment